27 July 2013

Scuttled by the Wind

Week 30, 26 July 2103 - Jahra Pools Reserve (Click to enlarge image)

The wind had picked up during the week and brought unpleasant blowing dust. I thought it had subsided sufficiently to get out for a pleasant few hours at JPR - I was wrong..

I didn't spend too much time at the pools this morning, as conditions were far from optimal. Although I was happy to get onto the Black-winged Kite that has been here a few weeks now and is considered a rarity for Kuwait. This one was actively searching and looking for prey items beneath its perch - but didn't pounce on anything whilst I was watching

Black-winged Kite (Elanus caeruleus) searching for breakfast


I caught a glimpse of some movement in the reeds and just managed to squeeze off one shot of the Swamphen before it skulked back into the reeds and out of the wind.

Skulking Purple Swamphen (Porphyrio  porphyrio)
A Little Ringed Plover stayed below the high bank to seek shelter from the wind.

1st year Little Ringed Plover (Charadrius dubius)
As there was not much else about, I concentrated on a few Dragonflies that were a little confiding due to the wind - there are not many resources available to assist with identification, but I enjoyed photographing these small subjects with big glass before heading back home.

Dragonfly

Dragonfly

Dragonfly

No comments:

Post a Comment