14 October 2016

Warblers and Waders

Week 35, 27 August 2016 - JEO and JPR

I was at the Jahra East Outfall at sunrise to check for Warblers - unfortunately, a number of shooters had the same idea and a few had already shot some ducks. Legislation is now in place to prosecute shooters, so they can at least be reported to the Environmental Police.

Due to the shooters, birds were understandably quiet and skittish, but with patience a few were seen (but not the ones I was hoping for!)

Indian Reed Warblers do breed in the summer and one was quite obliging - almost too close to my car..

Indian Reed Warbler (Acrocephalus s. brunnescens)
A little later a Great Reed Warbler was seen, these are migrants

Great Reed Warbler (Acrocephalus arundinaceus)
A single Spotted Flycatcher was foraging up and down the outfall

Spotted Flycatcher (Muscicapa striata)
As there were too many shooters, I decided to move on, as it was not pleasant at this location any more. On the way out I found quite a large pool with good numbers of Common Ringed Plover. Whilst I was sitting quietly photographing the displaying birds, a shooter pulled up on the opposite side of the pool and started shooting at the Plovers - I kid you not! Despite my gesticulation, he was oblivious - so I got out my car and flushed the birds. He just moved to another spot. He would however be reported to the authorities...

Displaying Common Ringed Plover (Charadrius hiaticula)





Since my blood was still boiling, I headed for the sanctity of Jahra Pools to get away from the shooters. There were a number of Black-crowned Night Herons flying around one of the pools.

Black-crowned Night Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax)
A Common Quail froze in the middle of the road, before deciding to head back from where it had come..

Common Quail (Coturnix coturnix)
I initially thought this might be a hybrid Duck, but after discussing with others concluded it is probably a female Common Pochard 

Female Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
As I said in my previous post, the sun is generally in front of you during the mornings at JPR. At the 'sunset' pool, I found these two Little Stints have a spat over the 'rights' to feed in a particular area..

Little Stint (Calidris minuta) fighting


At the outfall, there were big numbers of Herons and Egrets - this Squacco Heron was unsuccessful in it's attempt to get some lunch and hid his 'embarrassment' quite well.

Squacco Heron (Ardeola ralloides)

Well let me just dry my plumes and regain my composure...




1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete