14 May 2018

Sand storm birding

Week 10; 11 March 2017 - Al Abraq and Jahra Farm

I hadn't been to Abraq in the west for quiet some time, but unfortunately once I arrived the wind really picked up and brought blowing dust which made it unpleasant to be out - but since it is a long drive, you have to make the most of it. Birds were very thin on the ground, but a fly by Pallid Harrier was welcome


A fine male Pallid Harrier (Circus macrourus)
On my 2nd circuit of the farm, a small flock of Lesser Kestrels dropped in looking to roost somewhere out of the wind 


Female Lesser Kestrel (Falco naumanni)

Male Lesser Kestrel (Falco naumanni)

Male Lesser Kestrel (Falco naumanni)


On the way out, I found a 'pair' of Caspian Stonechat's and these were the only birds of note to be seen on the farm


Male Caspian Stonechat (Saxicola m. variegatusa)

Female Caspian Stonechat (Saxicola m. variegatusa)
I did also find this unidentified moth


Moth sp.

I made do, by photographing some of the desert plants that had sprung up with the advent of spring coming on.


Cakile Arabica

Desert Hyacinth

Plant sp.

Plant sp.
I failed to find any other birds, so called it a morning earlier than I would have normally done and headed east to Jahra Farm where it was hopefully more sheltered from the wind. 

Jahra Farm was only a little more productive with Grey Wagtail


Female Grey Wagtail (Motacilla cinerea)


Some Yellow Wagtail's


Funky Black-headed Wagtail (Motacilla f. feldegg) with an 'eyebrow' tuft
and a few Tree Pipit's


Tree Pipit (Anthus trivialis)
After which I headed home, as by now I had a fine coating of dust over me, my kit and the inside of my car.



1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete